My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://mycupcakenotebook.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Classic Doughnuts

Hello everyone!

Today's recipe has been a recent obsession of mine: Doughnuts. I found the recipe in Postreadicción and I couldn't take my mind off of it. I had to do them.



I have been adamant of doing this recipe because of the oil. I am not a fan of frying things, basically because I am terrified of getting burnt by the oil. I don't know why, but I have always been afraid of it. Therefore, I am physically incapable of doing a fried egg. I have ruined three perfectly made spanish omelettes because I dread the moment of flipping it. I have witnesses, my friend Clara still laughs about it!



So you must know that this obsession has become pretty serious if I was willing to overcome my fears.

I actually burned my finger. Nothing serious. 

It was totally worth it.





Classic Doughnuts recipe from Postreadicción

Ingredients (yields 20 doughnuts + doughnut holes)

  • 10g fresh yeast
  • 360ml milk
  • 70g butter (melted)
  • 830g flour
  • 115g sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ litre mild olive oil
  • A kitchen thermometre
  • A medium sized pot

Directions

  • Dissolve the fresh yeast in the milk. Add the melted butter.
  • In a big bowl, mix flour and sugar.
  • In another bowl, mix eggs, egg yolk, vanilla and salt. Stir the three mixes together starting by pouring the milk into the flour and finishing with the egg mixture. Knead the dough until it gets very elastic (it took 15 minutes approximately for me, since I was doing it by hand. It will take less if you have a machine).

  • Put the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 1 hour and a half and put it in the fridge for three more hours.

  • Sprinkle your work surface and the rolling pin with flour.
  • Roll the dough with the rolling pin until you reach a thickness of 1 cm. Cut the dough into the desired form and put the resulting doughnuts on a parchment paper.

  • Sprinkle them lightly with flour and cover them again with plastic wrap for 1 hour.

  • Put the olive oil in the pot and heat it until it reaches 180ºC (356ºF) . Put the doughnuts in the oil, frying them for 2 minutes each side.

  • Once you take them out of the oil, put them on a piece of paper towel in order to eliminate the excess of oil.

Ingredients classic icing

  • 200g confectioners sugar
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 3-4 Tbs hot water
Directions


  • Mix the three ingredients in a bowl.
  • Dip the doughnuts (while they are still hot) in the icing, both sides.

  • Place them on a rack in order to eliminate the excess of icing.



Some tips:

- You should have everything ready by the time you are going to start frying the doughnuts. By everything I mean the icing, the paper towels (I put two layers of them over a rack), every utensil you will need. It's easy to get distracted, or think that you have plenty of time to do something while a doughnut it's in the pot. NOT TRUE. Keep an eye on them because it's very easy to burn them just because you were distracted.
- I controlled the oil temperature regularly, adjusting the heat in order to maintain the temperature stable at all times.
- Making doughnuts can be messy and exhausting (it's not something easily done, that's for sure). Keep that in mind, and be patient with the stablished times!

Here's the pdf with the recipe: Classic Doughnuts.

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment